Re: ssh says Cannot listen to port: 6000

On 2009-07-29 08:49, Anthony Campbell wrote:
On 29 Jul 2009, Siggy Brentrup wrote:
Or simply put these 2 lines at the top of your ~/.ssh/config

Host *
  ForwardX11 no
Please forget this nonsense, I read only the subject line, not
the body of your message.

Thanks to you and Ron I now know that port 6000 is being used by X11.
And in fact, if I ssh at a terminal without starting X I can connect.
But then, of course, I can't start X!

How can this be resolved? It must  be possible because it works on two
other computers, just not on this one.

Compare /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc across the systems. Mine, devoid of whitespace and comments, simply says:

    $ cat /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
    exec /usr/bin/X11/X -nolisten tcp

Googling "-nolisten tcp" should point you in the right direction.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer