Re: Back up routines

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:08 -0400, Eric Gerlach wrote:

> Sure, your grandfather did it, but give any small-business owner
> these two choices:

> 1. Every day, bring this drive in, plug it in, run this program,
> then take it home at night; or

> 2. Pay Amazon $3/mo and don't worry about it;

> and I bet over 80% of them choose #2.  They'll say "The time it
> takes me to do that for one week is worth more than $3, let alone
> for the whole month!".  The ones who choose #1 don't value their
> time enough, IMO.

I guess you're right in what small business owners are doing, but IMHO
they are not valuing confidentiality of their data high enough.  I
don't know which encryption standards are in use, but I doubt most
people even know about http://www.schneier.com/essay-198.html by Bruce
Schneier, let alone understand what he is saying.

I say this being hit by a complete HW and data loss to a fire in '97.
I prefer keeping my data off-site and off-net.

my 2¢
  Siggy
--
Please don't Cc: me when replying, I might not see either copy.
               bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de