Re: Installing with no swap partition

In <[🔎] 631fe46c0907271347g341e048udf74d5ee643e1a5b@mail.gmail.com>, Mark wrote:
>A couple of questions (background is below the questions if you want to
>read):
>
>Question 1: In the Debian manual it says a swap partition isn't needed but
>recommended for efficiency.  Anyone else installed without swap and had
>success?

>Is my installation a ticking time bomb if I don't have a swap
>partition?

Usually, no.  Either the OOM killer will kick in or malloc/calloc/realloc
will start failing earlier, so you might want to add swap if either of those
happens.  You'll get OOM messages in /var/log/messages; applications will
either crash or notify you they are out of memory if malloc/calloc/realloc
fails.

You can use a swap file instead of a swap partition/disk.  Just create a
file of the appropriate size with dd, use mkfs.swap on it, and add it to
your fstab.