Re: Musings on debian-user list

On 2009-07-27 10:53, Tim Beauregard wrote:

I recently re-subscribed having been off for about four years.  The
changes I have noticed are:

Good to have you back.

1. Much less traffic.  I previously got 250+ posts per day.  Now 50-100.
 Could this be due to the development of ubuntu?

I think so...

2. Less flaming.
3. Less digression, and if it occurs, it dies out in a day or two.
Previously it could go on for weeks, particularly if a political agenda
develops.

Age mellows us all.

4. Some leaders are still here.  I am pleased to see Osamu Aoki, Ron
Johnson still posting.  Not seen Alvin Oga, I miss his satirical way.
Is Baloo about still?  Any omissions are honestly unintentional.
5. Less newbie posts.  Ubuntu?

Ubuntu is the new Microsoft???

6. Less configuration questions.  Could this be due to improvement of
the kernel and included libraries?

Or Ubuntu has sponged (but not in the bad connotation) them all.

7. Less spam.

Things that don't change:

8. Flaming for 'OT'.  My opinion is that this is a bit OTT, after all
they are mostly debian-users.
9. Top-posting by newbies.  My view is the fact they are defined as
newbies means its unlikely they will understand the netiquette.  They
can leave this tag behind when they work it out.

gmail is now the cause of 99% of top-posting.

10. Thread theft by newbies.  Their loss if they don't get replies.

All things said, I prefer the list in its current state, as it is more
manageable and interesting.  Feel free to share your opinions.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer