Re: Back up routines

Brad Rogers wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:48:17 +0100
AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hello AG,

Thus, can I please have a few recommendations for a backup routine
that is safe for dummies (i.e. me) and is low maintenance that I can
just leave to run according to a cron job once (or twice) a week?  It
would be backing up to my former IDE HDD (now in an enclosure) via an

Unsatisfactory, IMO.  Any back up should be made to a medium that can be
removed from the computer and, at the very least, stored in a different
part of the building.

I back up to two set of DVDs, of different makes, and keep one copy at
home, away from the computer in the shed, and one at somebody else's
house.  I keep a copy of his backup for him in return.

Why different makes of disk?  If one proves to be from a faulty batch,
the other make is, hopefully, not similarly afflicted.

Brad

Thanks for your thoughts.

I am a home user with a small 3 workstation LAN.  The IDE HDD that I am thinking of using as the back-up target is physically separate from my machine (in an enclosure connected with a USB cable from my machine).  I could back up to DVDs, but given my machine's dubious relationship with my DVDCDROM drive (see my previous posts on this theme) that seems like the less reliable option.

Cheers

AG