Re: Back up routines

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:48:17 +0100
AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hello AG,

> Thus, can I please have a few recommendations for a backup routine
> that is safe for dummies (i.e. me) and is low maintenance that I can
> just leave to run according to a cron job once (or twice) a week?  It
> would be backing up to my former IDE HDD (now in an enclosure) via an

Unsatisfactory, IMO.  Any back up should be made to a medium that can be
removed from the computer and, at the very least, stored in a different
part of the building.

I back up to two set of DVDs, of different makes, and keep one copy at
home, away from the computer in the shed, and one at somebody else's
house.  I keep a copy of his backup for him in return.

Why different makes of disk?  If one proves to be from a faulty batch,
the other make is, hopefully, not similarly afflicted.

--
 Regards  _

What will you do when the gas taps turn?
The Gasman Cometh - Crass