Re: new to debian need help with fonts rendering (?)

On Tuesday 21 July 2009 03:52:06 Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> thirstyh2o wrote:
> > Hi, folks.
> >
> > I'm coming from Ubuntu crowd where I spent last couple of years. Finally
> > decided:"Why 'Debian based', why not Debian itself".
> >
> > So to be. I've installed Debian 5.0.2 on my Dell Latitude D820 as dual
> > boot to my Ubuntu Jaunty.  The laptop has Nvidia video card on it. The
> > resolution and refresh rate were set properly by installer, and I was
> > quite pleased by that.
> >
> > Everything was just fine except... font rendering. I find that, font
> > rendering in Ubuntu is way easier on my eyes than in Lenny, where my eyes
> > start soring after 15-20 minutes.
> >
> > In Ubuntu I do use proprietary/restricted video drivers. But in Lenny,
> > since I'm not a gamer, I was willing to stick with default open source
> > driver.
>
> The proprietary driver improves performance even for other stuff though
> it is more likely to crash, especially during suspend/resume.
>
> > Hence the question, is there any way to improve font rendering with open
> > source driver or I'll have to install the proprietary one.
> >
> > Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Try running `dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config` and ensure that the
> option for sub-pixel rendering is correct. If you had to change it, you
> might have to run `dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig` for the changes to take
> effect.

This is something I have been coping with since my switch to Linux.
I tried multiple font types (DejaVu, Bitstream, Liberation) and multiple
configurations but I have not managed to get a decent font rendering yet.

The present configuration consists of the Liberation fonts with autohinter
enabled, subpixel rendering enabled and bitmap fonts disabled but I don't
find the rendering good enough.