Re: new to debian need help with fonts rendering (?)

thirstyh2o wrote:
Hi, folks.

I'm coming from Ubuntu crowd where I spent last couple of years. Finally decided:"Why 'Debian based', why not Debian itself". So to be. I've installed Debian 5.0.2 on my Dell Latitude D820 as dual boot to my Ubuntu Jaunty. The laptop has Nvidia video card on it. The resolution and refresh rate were set properly by installer, and I was quite pleased by that.

Everything was just fine except... font rendering. I find that, font rendering in Ubuntu is way easier on my eyes than in Lenny, where my eyes start soring after 15-20 minutes.

In Ubuntu I do use proprietary/restricted video drivers. But in Lenny, since I'm not a gamer, I was willing to stick with default open source driver.

The proprietary driver improves performance even for other stuff though it is more likely to crash, especially during suspend/resume.

Hence the question, is there any way to improve font rendering with open source driver or I'll have to install the proprietary one.

Try running `dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config` and ensure that the option for sub-pixel rendering is correct. If you had to change it, you might have to run `dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig` for the changes to take effect.