How to have gdb step into a function from the application's shared library?

Consider the following pseudo code:

    ::::::::
    appLib.h
    ::::::::
    int funcInAppLib(void);

    ::::::
    main.c
    ::::::
    #include "appLib.h"

    int main(void) {
        if (funcInAppLib() < 0)  printf("funcInAppLib() < 0\n");
    }

  Where the application is debianized, and appLib is installed as a
shared library.  It has an associated -dev library, which is not
normally installed.

  I want to have gdb step into funcInAppLib().  What should I do so
that single step in main will actually step into funcInAppLib()?  What
I did so far is:
1) Make the deb without stripping debugging symbols.
2) Single step main() with gdb, by gdb s command.  But that process
   skipped stepping into funcInAppLib().