[OT] Epiphany follows symlinks, Iceweasel not

Hello, all:

I have a bunch of XHTML files with potential links to each other.[1]
A top index file links to the principal files.  Each file then has
potential links to others, which is determined by a bit of JavaScript
which finds potential links and makes them into links if the linked
file is present in the file structure.  Some of the possibly linked
files are in a symlinked directory.  My JavaScript makes an
xmlHTTPRequest to determine whether a potential link has an actual
file to link to.  Epiphany follows the symlink and finds the files.
Iceweasel doesn't.  Any thoughts on why that might be so?  (Epiphany
uses Webkit, Iceweasel doesn't - is that the explanation?)  In other
respects, both browsers behave as standards would expect.  All this is
when I access the files using the file:/// protocol, so it's not a
server thing, as there's no server involved.

Patrick
[1]I don't mean to be mysterious, but the content of the files (US
Supreme Court constitutional opinions) is irrelevant to my question!