Re: X11 without HAL: "DontZap" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't work anymore

* Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> [2009 Jul 16 17:46 -0500]:
> HAL has been a pain for me, because of my laptop and my need to attach
> things to the laptop whilst its on, thus hal mount things all over the
> place and does things the system wasn't doing before.

I'm puzzled by this and HAL does not mount *anything* on my machines
until I tell it to.  I am using KDE 3.5 and 4.2 and in neither case
will a device be mounted automatically, I must initiate it on my own.
It seems as though automounting of the type I understand you describing
is a desktop environment issue?  I did no special configuration of HAL
to acheive this either.

OTOH, HAL along with udev is invaulable to me for making a USB to
serial adapter available without issue or a USB sound card I use for
amateur radio work.  It's just there once it's plugged in with no
writing of arcane rules or trying to determine kernel device names by
diggin through /var/log/syslog when some new device is plugged in for
the first time.

I'm no HAL fanboi as I really don't care if it's HAL, udev, or the
kernel making my life easier and more convenient.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"