Re: To mirror a huge tree...

On 2009-07-15_23:53:27, ron.l.johnson@cox.net wrote:
> ---- David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> > Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > ... external USB hard drive, I'm getting a consistent 30MBps,
> > > ... is 30MBps about as good as I can get from the combination of the
> > > USB software and hardware?
> >
> > 30 MB/s is good for USB. You need Firewire, eSATA, or an internal drive
> > to go faster.
>
> :)
>
> I've been a big FW fan for many years.  My backups, though, have only been (because of compression) in the 70-85GB range.
>
> But this mirror was 630GB, and along around 600GB, the sbp2 driver went squirrely, throwing all sorts of messages to syslog and then hanging.
>
> USB (that enclosure has both FW & USB jacks) worked fine, though, giving me a consistent 30MBps rate the whole time, finishing seconds over 6 hours.
>
> eSATA is my next try, when I get the chance.

So you have 600/630 = 95% of the job done. To finish, I suggest rsync starting with
this as the destination of the copying. Even if the source data is changing a bit
from day-to-day, I'm sure the great bulk of it is static. Keep repeating the rsync
update until you get a clean, no descrepancies, run. Switching to a different disk
interface standard (and abandoning the existing 95% solution (?) ) makes no sense to me.

HTH