RE: To mirror a huge tree...

---- David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > ... external USB hard drive, I'm getting a consistent 30MBps,
> > ... is 30MBps about as good as I can get from the combination of the
> > USB software and hardware?
>
> 30 MB/s is good for USB. You need Firewire, eSATA, or an internal drive
> to go faster.

:)

I've been a big FW fan for many years.  My backups, though, have only been (because of compression) in the 70-85GB range.

But this mirror was 630GB, and along around 600GB, the sbp2 driver went squirrely, throwing all sorts of messages to syslog and then hanging.

USB (that enclosure has both FW & USB jacks) worked fine, though, giving me a consistent 30MBps rate the whole time, finishing seconds over 6 hours.

eSATA is my next try, when I get the chance.