Re: X11 without HAL: "DontZap" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't work anymore

Jochen Schulz wrote:
Dirk:
the X11 in debian/unstable is very broken right now. It requires HAL which i replaced with a dummy package and now the "DontZap" option in /etc/X11/xorg.conf is also broken... I can't quit X11 with ctrl+alt+bs anymore...

I have that problem as well and I am using the real HAL package.

Is that HAL dependency supposed to make it into stable?

I suppose yes, but I don't know. And I think it has nothing to do with
the DontZap problem.

I would like to know so because then I can move our machines to another distro soon enough before the shit hits the fan.

Dude, calm down. It's just a package. :)

J.

if i remember correctly "DontZap" was supposed to fix ctrl+alt+bs in X11 when no HAL was installed... now it seems i can't even change the X11 resolution anymore without HAL...

it's not just a package... it's an indicator for debian losing touch with it's main user base: people who dont want all that stuff Ubuntu offers, especially annoyingly, interfering junk like HAL...

i bet it wont even matter anymore if i compile X11 myself, huh?

debian should really have waited until HAL was obsoleted by something better like devicekit...

Dirk