Re: Running a ia32 system on debian amd64 system

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Mathieu
Malaterre<mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Kumar
> Appaiah<a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:10:47AM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>>   I am trying to run a debian ia32 system on my running debian amd64.
>>> I thought I could follow instructions from:
>>> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAMD64Faq
>>> -> http://users.alioth.debian.org/~intero-guest/debian-amd64-howto.html
>>> -> http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html
>>>
>>> Which -according to another debian chanel- is deprecated and has been
>>> replaced by newer (better?) documentation.
>>
>> I would create a 32 bit chroot to avoid the trouble of running any
>> 32-bit programs with 32-bit libraries on my amd64 machine as is. See
>> this for a sample tutorial:
>>
>> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18001
>>
>> Of course, this would involve creating a (much smaller) duplicate
>> installation. But then, it's easier to maintain (in my opinion) two
>> separate chroots, rather than a single amd64 installation with the
>> requirement of installing some 32-bit libraries as well...
>
> This tutorial assume you have an old 32bits debian system laying
> around... How can I create one if I don't have that ?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Mathieu

To create one I used:

$ debootstrap --arch i386 lenny /mnt/lenny32 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/

However I still cannot get the /dev directory to work as expected:

$ schroot -u root
Password:
I: [lenny32 chroot] (mathieu→root) Running login shell: ‘/bin/bash’
gotlib:/tmp/7# apt-get install sudo
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  sudo
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 177kB of archives.
After this operation, 442kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ftp.fr.debian.org lenny/main sudo 1.6.9p17-2 [177kB]
Fetched 177kB in 0s (663kB/s)
Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)
Selecting previously deselected package sudo.
(Reading database ... 8953 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking sudo (from .../sudo_1.6.9p17-2_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)
Setting up sudo (1.6.9p17-2) ...
No /etc/sudoers found... creating one for you.

But from my amd64 system, I can see that my chroot is binded to my current /dev:

$ mount
/dev/mapper/gotlib-root on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/sdc1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/mapper/gotlib-home on /home type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/sdd1 on /media/CRUZER type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=1000)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/home on /mnt/lenny32/home type none (rw,bind)
/tmp on /mnt/lenny32/tmp type none (rw,bind)
/media/cdrom0 on /mnt/lenny32/media/cdrom0 type none (rw,bind)
/dev on /mnt/lenny32/dev type none (rw,bind)

Thanks,
--
Mathieu