Running a ia32 system on debian amd64 system

Hi there,

  I am trying to run a debian ia32 system on my running debian amd64.
I thought I could follow instructions from:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAMD64Faq
-> http://users.alioth.debian.org/~intero-guest/debian-amd64-howto.html
-> http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html

Which -according to another debian chanel- is deprecated and has been
replaced by newer (better?) documentation.

  So my question is simply: is there a -up to date- step by step
tutorial on how to setup a ia32 system on a running debian amd64
system. My goal is to be able to compile and run a custom software
written in C/C++/Java.

Right now, I am struggling with the following problem. From my modest
understanding schroot needs sudo to be run from my account, which in
turn requires the -d option, but then I do not understand how to
specify I want zsh as shell.

Ideally this documentation would also describe how to install java
within this environment as apt-get leads to:

$ apt-get install default-jdk
Setting up gij-4.3 (4.3.2-2) ...
GC Warning: Couldn't read /proc/stat
Couldn't read /proc/self/stat
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gij-4.3.postinst: line 29: 15348 Aborted
     gcj-dbtool-4.3 -n /var/lib/gcj-4.3/classmap.db
dpkg: error processing gij-4.3 (--configure):

Thanks for your attention,
--
Mathieu