Re: Debian AMD64 and Intel CPUs

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 2:24 PM, T o n g<mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Can someone tell me what kind of Intel CPUs have that EM64T? Any easy
> rule of thumb? E.g., can I safely assume all those Intel 64 Duecore are

One needs to be careful with Intel nomenclature. Some CoreDuos are 32
bit only, but most if not all core 2 duos can do 64bit. Actually, 64
bit is pretty commonplace these days, unless you have a fairly old
processor.

But to be certain, the rule of thumb is to do a 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'
and look for the lm (long mode) flag. The presence of that flag
indicates 64 bit capability.

Another caveat relating somewhat to Intel chips - it is best to query
intel directly regarding the feature set of the intended processor
model number, not only for 64 bit (which most will have) but for
virtualization capability, which some will not have. I pointed this
out at a gathering yesterday -- if you look at the more recent
offerings from intel, some of the lower end CPUs will have VT
capability, but other newer ones will not, and then later on, VT
capability resumes. It's as if the feature is disabled in some of
their processors.

I surmise this only affects some virtualizattion. For instance, on my
Q6600 (core 2 quad, not the most screamingly fast cpu, but more than
adequate for my needs) I can do Virtualbox fine, but on my laptop
(Core2Duo T5800) virtualization is not supported, at least not by
Virtualbox, as the CPU seems to omit this feature.

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.