Re: Debian AMD64 and Intel CPUs

T o n g wrote:
Hi,

I've recently realized that Debian AMD64 is not only suitable for my AMD64 but some Intel CPUs as well. http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/ says all Intel CPUs with EM64T extension are supported. Can someone tell me what kind of Intel CPUs have that EM64T? Any easy rule of thumb? E.g., can I safely assume all those Intel 64 Duecore are able to run Debian AMD64?
thanks

All Intel x86s chip that are 64-bit are, for all intents and purposes, equivalent to AMD64. If you want to run 64-bit Linux, you have no choice but but to use the AMD64, as there is no other kind of x86 + 64-bit version.

(The Itanium is not an x86 chip, though it is 64-bit.  Ignore it.)

Mark Allums