Re: Debian+LVM+RAID

2009/7/9 Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au>:

>> Creating a swap partition on a software RAID device isn't ideal. It is
>> better to create a swap partition on each of the physical devices and
>> give them the same priority (in /etc/fstab). That's only one example,
>> you could also use a disk that isn't part of the RAID and have only
>> one swap partition ...
>
> what happens if there is something important swapped out and that drive
> dies ?  I could understand not wanting to put it on lvm and then raid1.

I agree with that. One generally uses RAID to keep a host running when
a disk failure occurs. If swap is not mirrored, processes wil crash,
or worst case the box might crash.

If performance is an issue, then you'd better go hardware raid.

Unless someone knows of another strong reason not to put swap on raid?

--

     Met vriendelijke groet,

     Serge van Ginderachter