Re: How about NUMA?

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 1:49 PM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
Hi,

under what circumstances are you supposed to turn on NUMA support in
the kernel settings? I've googled about that and learned what NUMA is
about while trying to answer the question wheather I should enable it
in my kernel or not. But I couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

Do Intel DualCores (E8400) support NUMA? Do you need special hardware,
like a special mainboard supporting NUMA, to benefit from this
feature? Do these CPUs support NUMA? It seems to me that leaving it
disabled is better in my case, and the kernel help also says that it's
probably better not to enable it if you don't have more than two
CPUs/cores.

Now if I had a quad core CPU instead, would I better enable NUMA? Or
if I had an AMD instead of Intel, would I turn it on? Or should I
leave it turned on?

I think NUMA only makes sense in a CPU architecture where each group of processor cores have their own memory controller such as multi-socket AMD K8 or K10 (Opteron) and Intel Nehalem-based Xeons.

Regards,
Masood