RE: Does Debian = Ubuntu?

[snip]
> And I think (without being sure) that you can always upgrade from one
> Ubuntu LTS release to the next, skipping the intermediate non-LTS
> releases.

This is correct. See here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardyUpgrades

"You can directly upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS ('Hardy Heron') from Ubuntu
7.10 ('Gutsy Gibbon') or from Ubuntu 6.06 LTS ('Dapper Drake')"

As I understand it Ubuntu's upgrade path is:
1) LTS->LTS
2) Incremintal->next incremental (and LTS only when it is the next
incremental)

I had to do the LTS->LTS once and it was surprisingly easy. I was
expecting much more of a fight in getting things to work again
considering the 2 year gap. There were some packages that were dropped
(various reasons) that I ended up having to research the replacements
but it was so trivial that I don't remember the details. The only one
that gave me issues was VMWare and that was a package outside of
Ubuntu's control anyway.

Have fun!
~Stack~