Re: etckeeper - keeping /etc under version control

Title: Re: etckeeper - keeping /etc under version control

Suno Ano wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
>  Chris> Actually I took a peek with Seamonkey as well and apart from
>  Chris> white rabbits that I could live without - and other prettifying
>  Chris> that I definitely will live without :-) everything renders OK.
>
> http://sunoano.name/ws/public_xhtml/faq.html#your_site_css_sucks_mate!_i_have_to_scroll!

Your page says:

 >  Your Site CSS sucks mate! I have to scroll!
 >
 >    You are talking about screen width.

(Actually, no; we are not talking about _screen_ width--we are
talking about _browser_ _window_ (or pane) width.  Remember that
browser windows aren't always full-screen windows.)

 >    Well, I decided to go with
 >    a floating CSS style rather than fixed width — this is good because
 >     it fills peoples screens no matter what the screen width is.

That's a good intent, but you didn't actually implement it.  Your
pages do not actually "float" (adjust in width)well.

Some parts do work.  For example, the three paragraphs at the top,
starting "Connector, geek, ...", and the glass-of-milk image adjust
fairly well.

However, much of the rest of the page does not.  For example, none
of the text in the center column in the rest of the page wraps to
fit the browser window.  (Narrow your window to see what happens.)

The cause of the problem seems to be that you used an HTML table
(or CSS table formatting) to implement the columns.

The combination of table formatting and putting images (or other
fixed-width content) in the column forces the column width, and
in turn text width, to the width the image, not letting a readers'
browsers try to wrap the text to fit each reader's chosen browser
window width.

(When an image or fixed-width content is not in a table column,
even if that image requires horizontal scrolling to be viewed,
the browser can wrap the rest of the text paragraphs to fit within
the browser pane, and their text is readable without repeated
horizontal scrolling.)

Try using the CSS "float" feature for you left-side navigation bar
("Home", "FAQs", etc.) and your right-side "Table Of Content"
column).

Then you probably won't need to use <table> elements (or CSS
table-formatting properties), and any images that overflow
somebody's browser pane won't force all the text to overflow too.

Daniel
--
(Plain text sometimes corrupted to HTML "courtesy" of Microsoft Exchange.) [F]