Re: bug in installer? (was Re: debian testing installer & encrypted LVM question)

Jochen Schulz wrote:
Giorgos Pallas:
-> failed to create a file system
The ext3 file system creation in partition #1 of LVM VG vg1, LV rootFS
failed
-- snip
Is this supposed to happen? Did I do something wrong?

I had the same issue when using the AMD64 squeeze installer a few days
ago. I think it is a bug, probably the same as reported in #534248.

J.

I had a mistake on the original email: It was the testing (squeeze) installer of AMD64, not the Lenny. It looks it is the bug you say - I sent some extra info to reproduce it.

The non-technical workaround: Burn a lenny installer, set up the encrypted lvm, install just the base system, and the upgrade to testing.

By the way, I *think* the problem was introduced by a new feature that they are trying to introduce: The partitioning of the logical volumes. After the installer crashed, I could see in /dev/mapper the logical volume foo of the volume group bar I had created, as well as a partition like thing:
/dev/mapper:
bar-foo
bar-foop1

Maybe I am wrong as to the development's intention. Anyway, does it make any sense to partition a logical volume?

G.