Re: Help with ndiswrapper and Broadcom wireless

Thierry Chatelet wrote:

> On Thursday 02 July 2009 05:09:51 JoeHill wrote:
> > I first tried to get wireless working following this page on the Debian
> > Wiki:
> >
> > http://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx
> >
> > but then found out that my particular device was not supported by that
> > driver.
> >
> > I then tried the tutorial on this page:
> >
> > http://wiki.debian.org/NdisWrapper
> >
> > I have a Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03), so I got the
> > driver from HP, the vendor of this notebook. It is installed, and shows up
> > in ndisgtk, but shows 'Hardware present: no'.
> >
> > I installed wicd to see if that would at least let me see more of what was
> > going on, but although it says it's running, when I try to access the wicd
> > network manager, nothing opens. Gnome network manager shows no wireless
> > connection.
> >
> > Any tips really greatly appreciated.
> >
> > --
>

> A Linux driver for the Broadcom bcm43xx wireless chips.
> Broadcom never released details about these chips. So this driver is based
> upon reverse engineered specifications.
>
> This driver was included into the Linux kernel since 2.6.17-rc2.
>
> Another branch of this driver, based on the Devicescape 802.11 Stack, which
> should be the future in Linux wireless support and which supports advanced
> capabilities (namely, full WPA support), can be found in the wireless-dev
> tree:
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-dev.git

I would like to try this, but I am completely unfamiliar with how to approach
this. Is this similar to subversion? How to I retrieve this code?

> The bcm43xx-fwcutter tool (required - see documentation for further info) can
> install with aptitude.
> So remove ndiswrapper and try again.
> Give some detail from ifconfig, iwconfig..

I already have the fwcutter tool installed from previous attempts, and I've
removed ndiswrapper. ifconfig and iwconfig both show no wireless devices.

Many thanks!