Re: Help with ndiswrapper and Broadcom wireless

On Thursday 02 July 2009 05:09:51 JoeHill wrote:
> I first tried to get wireless working following this page on the Debian
> Wiki:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx
>
> but then found out that my particular device was not supported by that
> driver.
>
> I then tried the tutorial on this page:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/NdisWrapper
>
> I have a Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03), so I got the
> driver from HP, the vendor of this notebook. It is installed, and shows up
> in ndisgtk, but shows 'Hardware present: no'.
>
> I installed wicd to see if that would at least let me see more of what was
> going on, but although it says it's running, when I try to access the wicd
> network manager, nothing opens. Gnome network manager shows no wireless
> connection.
>
> Any tips really greatly appreciated.
>
> --

A Linux driver for the Broadcom bcm43xx wireless chips.
Broadcom never released details about these chips. So this driver is based
upon reverse engineered specifications.

This driver was included into the Linux kernel since 2.6.17-rc2.

Another branch of this driver, based on the Devicescape 802.11 Stack, which
should be the future in Linux wireless support and which supports advanced
capabilities (namely, full WPA support), can be found in the wireless-dev
tree:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-dev.git

The bcm43xx-fwcutter tool (required - see documentation for further info) can
install with aptitude.
So remove ndiswrapper and try again.
Give some detail from ifconfig, iwconfig..