Re: fglrx and dual monitor

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 18:43 +0100, kj wrote:

> Well, I used to have a Radeon 7000, which was fully supported under X,
> and that worked beautifully, until they came up with this randr stuff,
> and threw out support for dual screens on the radeon driver without
> providing a working alternative (what were they thinking?).   After much
> trouble, I gave up and bought an nVidia card, which has worked well so
> far.  But now they dished out new desktops at work, the machines are
> under support contracts, so I'm not allowed to tinker with the insides,
> and they come with this new ATI card.
>
> > I don't need fancy 3D and have often regretted that they put such an
> > ill-supported card in my laptop...
> >
> I'm not concerned with 3D, but 2D acceleration had better work.

My work machine has an HD 2600 XT, and works ok (not flawlessly - the
mouse pointer sometimes screws up a bit) with the free radeon driver -
and it claims to support the HD 2400 XT too. It did take a bit of
fiddling around with the config to make it go, though. I'm using dual
screens, with xrandr - it's quite cool, I can rotate one of my screens
for portrait mode when I like :-)

Richard