Re: fglrx and dual monitor

Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
I gave up on a similar endeavour when lenny was testing. ATI's
proprietary drivers are a mess for those kind of things -- or at least
were the last time I tried. I had it partially working for some time
with only minor artifacts and troubles, when a new update of the kernel
or xorg (don't remember which) was incompatible with fglrx. I gave up
then... and prefer the convenience of having a 'pure' debian system to
the advantages of joining two screens.
Well, I used to have a Radeon 7000, which was fully supported under X, and that worked beautifully, until they came up with this randr stuff, and threw out support for dual screens on the radeon driver without providing a working alternative (what were they thinking?). After much trouble, I gave up and bought an nVidia card, which has worked well so far. But now they dished out new desktops at work, the machines are under support contracts, so I'm not allowed to tinker with the insides, and they come with this new ATI card.

I don't need fancy 3D and have often regretted that they put such an
ill-supported card in my laptop...
I'm not concerned with 3D, but 2D acceleration had better work.

--kj