Re: New Dell netbook Ubuntu,Debian,login problems-part 2.

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:27:28AM -0700, luis_a_maceira@yahoo.com wrote:

> Thanks to all who promptly have responded to my first question.Now I have a
> more effective knowledge about some of the differences between the two worlds
> in terms of power accounts,but I now see that my problem is:
> I do not know what is my Ubuntu user password,it do not come with the netbook
> package(I purchased the netbook with a great discount price possibly from a
> returned buy from another person,I do not see any card or so with login
> information).When I turn on the netbook I get automatically into the d1ell
> account of which I do not know the password.Anyway,this user name d1ell seems
> pretty standard to me,so are there probably any standard password?I tried
> dell but it do not work.Have anyone experienced something similar buying a
> new laptop?

I recommend booting into single-user mode and changing the root password.
http://aplawrence.com/Linux/lostlinuxpassword.html
Once you have established the root password, su to root then add a new
user account for yourself.  After you have your account made run 'visudo'
as root and add yourself to the sudoers file.  See the man page for better
reference but you could add something like the following to the file.

# User privilege specification
root	ALL=(ALL) ALL
luis	ALL=(ALL) ALL

Once you have yourself added to the sudoers file you can then select a
random password for root in the User and Group option in
System>Administration>Users and Groups.
Log out and log back in as luis (or whatever you created) and you should
be all set.

Something else you may want to try is simply sudo su to see if you become
root as you would in either knoppix or dsl.

--
Daryl Styrk
Naples FL, USA