Re: CUPS Problem: "Unable to start filter "pdftoraster" - Success."

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 08:58:53 +0100, AG wrote:

[...]

> Well - I'll be a monkey's uncle:  I rebooted today and miraculously
> the printer is now working.  I thought this only happened in
> Windows-World not under GNU/Linux where a reboot fixes a problem.  I
> can imagine - I'd spend months hunting down a phantom problem when
> all it takes is a reboot.

All you should have to do is restart processes that hang on to old
versions of libraries, configuration files, etc. (I seem to remember
that that was pointed out in the recent uptime thread.)

> So much for my thread on uptimes ... it actually seems that for a
> relative Deb-noob like me, sometimes a reboot will clear out the
> bugs and get one's system working again.

Run checkrestart (package "debian-goodies") after every upgrade or
installation procedure; it will tell you which services have to be
restarted. (For the present problem it may have been cups itself.)

          Florian   |