Re: Uptimes - any guidance?

Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 08:30:01PM +0100, AG wrote:
>> I'm running Squeeze on a desktop and so far have an uptime of some
>> 11d.  I am just curious whether or not there is any guidance/ advice
>> on how long uptimes should be allowed to be run, or whether it is
>> wise to shut down and reboot?
>
> Other than security related updates (kernel?) which might require
> system restarts, I don't think there should be much to worry about
> leaving your machine on.

I agree.  I have two systems that are not accessible from the Internet
and so aren't updated regularly, and they have uptimes of 366 and 589
days right now, with on problems.

[...]

> In case you don't run too many servives on your desktop machine, and
> unless you _have_ to do a kernel upgrade, I don't see why you would
> need to reboot under ordinary circumstances. But I have seen some
> people reboot at regular intervals, since they feel it "flushes the
> memory" and keeps performance good

If you run software with memory leaks, restarting periodically may
help; in the early days of Linux there was a lot of that, and it may
have been a wise strategy.  Nowadays things are very mature and
stable, and IMO rebooting to keep performance good is not necessary,
as long as you don't have any buggy software that requires it.

For machines that are accessible to the Internet or other untrusted
users, I do update kernels when apt tells me to, and reboot after
that.  I would strongly recommend that.

----Scott.