Re: Uptimes - any guidance?

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 08:30:01PM +0100, AG wrote:
> I'm running Squeeze on a desktop and so far have an uptime of some
> 11d.  I am just curious whether or not there is any guidance/ advice
> on how long uptimes should be allowed to be run, or whether it is
> wise to shut down and reboot?

Other than security related updates (kernel?) which might require
system restarts, I don't think there should be much to worry about
leaving your machine on. My daily work machine running Lenny had an
uptime of 215 days before I had to get it rebooted (I wasn't near the
machine, so to restore some network settings, I had to request someone
to reboot it for me).

> I'm thinking "wise" as from the perspective of the system and its
> overall functioning, etc.  By way of comparison, I have a headless
> OpenBSD box running nothing but firewall and router and it is a
> workhorse - just keeps on going and going.  I'm sure I have clocked
> uptimes of 90+ days on that without a problem.

In case you don't run too many servives on your desktop machine, and
unless you _have_ to do a kernel upgrade, I don't see why you would
need to reboot under ordinary circumstances. But I have seen some
people reboot at regular intervals, since they feel it "flushes the
memory" and keeps performance good, though I don't really believe that
and can't comment on the veracity of those statements. :-)

Kumar