Re: Uptimes - any guidance?

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 08:30:01PM +0100, AG wrote:

> I'm running Squeeze on a desktop and so far have an uptime of some
> 11d.   I am just curious whether or not there is any guidance/ advice
> on how  long uptimes should be allowed to be run, or whether it is
> wise to shut  down and reboot?

Uptime is not a problem the way it is with Windows. Rebooting is only
necessary when:

    - You upgrade the kernel. This may not even be true if you've
      installed kexec-tools.

    - You have a lot of in-memory libraries that have been upgraded on
      disk. It's not much slower to reboot than to change runlevels
      after a major GNOME or KDE upgrade.

    - You have a lot of zombie processes or mounted filesystems that you
      can't reap or unmount any other way.

On the other hand, rebooting generally does no harm. So, reboot if it
makes you happy, but it's rarely necessary even after a major upgrade.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
	-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"