Re: [OT] Linksys wireless router on debian

2009/6/25 Tony Baldwin <photodharma@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:27:59AM +0200, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
>> Hi you all,
>>
>> I bought a LinkSys WRT54GL wirelss router and I am going to configure
>> it to extend my DSL connection at home.
>> I am not new to debian but network(ing) skills are modest.
>>
>> Does anyone own this device and running debian?
>> Any hint /solution about debian specific setup/trick is appreciated.
>>

> That's my router.
> I didn't do a thing to it.
> I have two debian desktops connected via ethernet and 3 ubuntu
> laptops connected via wifi all sharing the internet connection.
> I haven't actually networked the machines, beyond sharing the internet
> connection, though.
> I just use sshs and sshfs to move files around, etc.
> My networking fu is about as sharp as a mud puddle after a thunderstorm.
>
> /tony

Reading the user manual  it shows that I must use the WRT in
conjunction with my dsl modem/router.
Is this mandatory or what?

I am told that my configuration should be.

- DSL Router: operating as dhcp client vs WAN, acting as a getaway for the WRT)
- WRT: configured with a static IP address (!= from the one assigned
by my ISP to my DSL router), packets are routed to the DSL router
which configured as default getaway
- My PC's connected to the WRT and using dchp client to obtain IP addresses

-r