Re: is it possible to install a desktop-manager without python and perl?

Celejar wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:52:41 -0400
Jeff Soules <soules@gmail.com> wrote:

There are problems for which it would be faster to *learn
perl well enough to write a perl solution* than to write the solution
in C.

Interesting; here's a different perspective (I'm not a serious enough
coder to go on the record with an opinion):

Quoted from the above link:
-------
If that doesn't carry enough weight for you, how does it sound coming from Charles Moore, the creator of FORTH?

A second corollary was even more heretical: "Do it yourself!"

The conventional approach, enforced to a greater or lesser extent,
is that you shall use a standard subroutine. I say that you should write your own subroutines.

Before you can write your own subroutines, you have to know how. This means, to be practical, that you have written it before; which makes it difficult to get started. But give it a try. After writing the same subroutine a dozen times on as many computers and languages, you'll be pretty good at it.
-------

Note that, while this says that reinventing the wheel CAN be worthwhile, it also says to do so in MANY DIFFERENT LANGUAGES!

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com