Re: DEBIAN REPOSITORIES FOR UBUNTU DAPPER ?

Paul E Condon wrote:
> sai ram wrote:
> So to your questions:
> (1) clarify if I can have both Ubuntu repositories and debian
> repositories enabled at the same time?
> You can have both repositories enabled by having more lines in your
> sources.list, some for Debian and some for Ubuntu. It is not difficult,
> but it will lead to grief, because you are mistaken in you faith that
> the two will work together nicely, and there is nothing that the members
> of either community can do to help make it work nicely.

Plus: if you upgrade your system, it might pick the 'latest' version for
all your installed packages. Some will be from debian, others from
ubuntu and you will be the first to generate this mix. It's quite likely
that *many* of these packages are not interchangeable between debian and
ubuntu and your system is very likely to be completely broken.

> A general remark: I have never worked with Ubuntu, but I have the
> impression that a major goal of Ubuntu is to make computer use 'easy'
> for non-experts. By contrast, my impression of Debian is that a major
> goal of Debian is to make life easier for a sysadmin of a small to
> mid-size enterprise, eg a public school system, a small college, a
> mid-size business, etc.

... or other experts. Ubuntu provides a subset of modified debian
packages that work together. Debian provides the whole lot, and of
course that requires more decisions (and knowledge) by the admin of the
box.

Johannes