Re: Student filter breaking Debian installs

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 08:36:32 +0100, Berni Elbourn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our nice network chappie has opened restriction on .gpg, .gz .bz2
> .deb and files without . but something is is still not working...
>
> Here's a log of an aptitude update:
>
> 94% [6 Translation-en_GB bzip2 0] [Connecting to ftp.uk.debian.org
> (83.142.228.bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
> Ign http://ftp.uk.debian.org lenny/main Translation-en_GB
>
> 63% [7 Translation-en_GB bzip2 0] [Connecting to ftp.uk.debian.org
> (83.142.228.bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
>
> And then things fall apart...repeating gets forever.
>
> I am sorry but looking over the repository I cant find Translation-en_GB
>

> What real file is involved here please so we can add to the filter
> exceptions?

As far as I understand it, apt(itude) should realize that there are no
Translation-en_GB.* files in the main/i18n directory and therefore it
should ignore the translation and move on. Is it possible that your
filtering/proxy setup returns some notification text (instead of a 404
error) if a non-existing or blocked file is requested from the web? I
could see how that might confuse apt. The messages that you posted
suggest that apt does receive some content for the translation file and
I do not think that this content comes from the Debian server.

> Are there any others we should check?

What happens if you try to retrieve the non-existing translation file
with wget?

wget http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/i18n/Translation-en_GB.bz2

You should see a 404 error ("not found").

(Replace "http://"; with "ftp://"; if the latter is what you have
 specified in your sources.list.)

          Florian   |