Re: Graphical Interface Crashes

Am Tue, 23 Jun 2009 08:21:20 +1000
schrieb Lachlan <lachlan.00@gmail.com>:

> i had a lot of trouble in lenny with my HD3870 especially if i didn't
> use the proprietary driver (google ati linux driver if you don't have
> it)

I (Radeon HD 3450) had a lot of trouble with the proprietary drivers.
Suspend to RAM resulted in a crash. Opening kaffeine resulted in a
crash. Compiling a new kernel resulted in no graphics at all.

I'm done with the proprietary driver and am using the latest
git-version of xf84-video-ati with xserver 1.6.1. Now I know what
stability really means. 3D is missing right now, but mesa will have
r600/r700 support in version 7.6, it's just a matter of time.

> boot into single user mode and set your xorg to use the vesa driver.
> that way you can use your desktop and then look at whether
> fglrx/radeon/radeonhd will work with your card.
>
> the fglrx driver that worked best for me was 8.6 on lenny. (google
> should help getting older drivers.)
>
> if a driver has been set in xorg.conf you can also comment it out and
> see if the xseerver will pick the correct driver, i can't remember if
> x was very good at that with lenny.

If the proprietary drivers are installed no 3D acceleleration is
possible in other drivers due to ATIs own libGL1.so.

Andreas