Re: Graphical Interface Crashes

2009/6/23 Andreas Juch <debian-user@juch.cc>:
> Am Mon, 22 Jun 2009 12:06:11 -0500
> schrieb Curtis Tyndall <curtist@hytekmb.com>:
>
>> I have recently installed Debian 5.01 Lenny on my machine.  I used a
>> network mirror during the installation.  However, during the initial
>> boot after the installation, my graphical interface always crashes
>> right before the login screen.  I have tried GDM, KDM and XDM for the
>> interfaces, and all of them do the same thing.  Howerver, a friend of
>> mine uses the exact same motherboard and processor, but a different
>> ATI video card, he can do a full install with absolutely no problems.

i had a lot of trouble in lenny with my HD3870 especially if i didn't
use the proprietary driver (google ati linux driver if you don't have
it)

boot into single user mode and set your xorg to use the vesa driver.
that way you can use your desktop and then look at whether
fglrx/radeon/radeonhd will work with your card.

the fglrx driver that worked best for me was 8.6 on lenny. (google
should help getting older drivers.)

if a driver has been set in xorg.conf you can also comment it out and
see if the xseerver will pick the correct driver, i can't remember if
x was very good at that with lenny.