Re: is it possible to install a desktop-manager without python and perl?

明覺 wrote:
> 2009/6/22 Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:17:18AM +0800, 明覺 wrote:
>>> I want to keep the programs in my system all written in c/c++, no
>>> python or perl or any other programming languages, is it possible to
>>> reach it?
>> Not yet until you help us writing system commands in C/C++.
> I would like this task if I'm able to do it :)
>>> I removed the 2 packages, python and perl, from my system,
>>> and of cause, I losed my desktop, is it possible to install a desktop
>>> manager without perl and python? which is the proper desktop manager?

FCS, I wish you would clarify what you want:
a) a Desktop Environment
or
b) a Window Manager
They're not the same thing.
Typically, a DE is a (often bloated) set of software the holds your
hand, such as gnome, kde, xfce, while a WM just manages windows, such as
openbox, awm, dwm, xmonad, ion3, twm, fvwm, etc.

There are window managers written entirely in C (dwm comes to mind), but
they will still require Xorg.

Additionally, someone mentioned that you aren't much of a programmer if
you can't handle looking at another language or two....
Seriously, I'm not even a real hacker* (yet), and I can write scripts
for bash, tcl/tk, perl, and python, and am even learning a little lua
since beginning to use ion3 (no knowledge whatsoever of C, though).

Sorry if I sound rude, but this thread is annoying.

/tony

*http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
--
http://www.baldwinsoftware.com