Re: is it possible to install a desktop-manager without python and perl?

>明覺 wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 4:11 PM,
> thveillon.debian<thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Sebastian Günther wrote:
>>> * 明覺 (shi.minjue@gmail.com) [22.06.09 03:18]:
>>>>

>>> # apt-cache --installed rdepends (perl|python)
>>>
>>> should show you which packages depend on perl resp. python. Then you can
>>> decide wether you can live without them.
>>>
>>> Sebastian
>>>
>> But aren't "perl" or "python" packages just metapackages acting like
>> glue for all the others in the section ? I don't know if removing them
>> will have any effect on the libs already installed.
>> And doesn't the package configuration system needs python and/or perl
>> stuff ?
> yes, i hate it so much! if i remove python, the whole gnome
> environment are removed; if i remove perl, the whole xorg system is
> removed. I don't think it's a good design to make python or perl so
> bottom, especially for people who do not like python and perl, like
> me.
>> aptitude search ~S~i~s'(perl|python)'  returns packages that look pretty
>> low-level stuff to me, most of which I have never installed manually but
>> were dragged in as dependencies.
>>
>> Looks like a strange idea to me to run a "one programming language only"
>> system, it would hint that there's a "one fits all" language and other
>> are just for decoration purpose... (Well, some may agree I guess ;-) )
> yes, currently, I'm almost a "one programming language only" people, I
> can accept the existence of other languages, but I think they should
> be optional, not necessory!
>> Tom

Well, there's always Mike OS, it's assembly language only, with C
library and api to write C code for it... If that's minimalistic enough
for you, at least you won't be bothered by Perl or Python ! (but the guy
doing Mike OS, Mike Saunders, is also writing Python columns for
LinuxFormat magazine... There's tools for every job).

http://mikeos.berlios.de/

Cheers,

Tom