Re: mixing debian and ubuntu [WAS] Re:

On Sun, 2009-06-21 at 09:56 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2009 07:31:11 -0000
> "sai ram" <k_sairam12@rediffmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear Friends!
> > I use Ubuntu Dapper Drake (on x86 pc) and wanted to install "isomaster"
> > software package about which I read in a linux magazine. As this package
> > was unavailable in my synaptic package manager with Ubuntu repositories,

Mixing distributions is a bad idea. If you need more recent versions,
you should consider upgrading to a more recent version of Ubuntu (or
Debian ;)

> > I downloaded the package from Debian website.

If you don't want to upgrade your distro, you should pick the package
from a distribution as close from the orignal as possible.
In this situation, http:// packages.ubuntu.com/isomaster says it's from
Hardy.

But again.... Mixing distributions is a bad idea (Of course, it is
likely to solve your current problem, but it is also likely that you
will face some [compatibility] problems that no one have).

> > While attempting the installation, I encountered dependency errors.
> I believe these errors can be overcome by adding appropriate Debian
> repositories to the etc/apt/sources.list file of my Ubuntu OS.

> > (3) give me the exact debian package source location lines, that I
>  need to add to my etc/sources.list file, so I can henceforth install
> packages from Debian repositories without any dependency errors.
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
BTW, the URL are http://ftp.XX.debian.org (the http.us.debian.org exists
for backward compatibility)

Franklin