puzzled about cron and anacron

I am setting up a cron job to do a daily backup of files on disk. I have put a call to the backup program in /etc/cron.daily and it does run daily, but not at the time that I would like it to run. The puzzle is that /etc/crontab specifies that the jobs in /etc/cron.daily should be run starting at 6:25 AM local time, but when I look at the logs, they are being run starting at 7:35 AM. I really want my job run earlier (I'm an early riser). I like to run the backup at about 4 AM. Changing the setting in /etc/crontab has no effect on when the job actually runs (as I expected because the job was actually being run at 7:35) It appears that something else is actually controlling when daily cron jobs run, but I can't find any config file that mentions 7:35 AM. I leave my computer on overnight just so I can have this job done, but there are indications in the log that seem, to my untrained eye, to be anacron restarting cron jobs every morning --- why? and how does it arrive at 7:35? The README.Debian indicates the anacron is absolutely "transparent". Is there something else that restarts anacron?

The computer is running plain vanilla desktop Lenny, installed a couple of weeks ago.
Suggestions?
TIA