Re: SATA CD- drive not picked up by system

On Tuesday June 16 2009 12:41:31 am AG wrote:
> Yes - it loads data disks just fine and also DVD disks that I have burnt
> myself.  When testing it using k3b to burn a DVD, k3b locates the disk
> immediately and burns successfully.  All other USB drives show up fine.
> As the sole user, I have permissions to load CD-ROMs and as far as I can
> tell I am a member of all of the relevant groups.
>
> Gnome has an easier time than Xfce4 in picking up that a disk has been
> loaded (i.e. an icon pops up on my desktop in Gnome, but nada in Xfce4).
>
> It is because of this inconsistency that I am confused: if it was
> completely dead - I'd be looking for a damaged drive/ disconnection.  If
> no audio-CD player found it, I'd be wondering about permissions; if
> nothing worked (i.e. no data disks, etc.) then it may be related to
> something else.  But, because it can automount data CDs and home-made
> DVDs, burn disks fine and that Gnome not Xfce4 picks up the icon, and
> that only Rhythmbox can play the disk that I am so confused by this.

Does it always flawlessly read DVD's? I am not sure if this is the case
anymore, but back when the combo drives first came out there were separate
lasers responsible for reading DVD's and CD's. Suppose that the laser for
reading CD's is slightly damaged. Perhaps short data bursts read okay, but
prolonged transfers get corrupted. Some applications may be more resistant to
this corruption (rereading or doing some kind of ECC on the signal), so some
applications may successfully read and some may not. Occasionally failing to
read the TOC/metadata may also prevent it from getting automounted by the
system.

All of this is pure conjecture, but if I were you, I would try getting my
hands on another SATA CD/DVD drive and seeing if you get the same symptoms. If
you get the same symptoms, check to see if the SATA drive is attached to a bus
all by itself. If this is the case, you could have some kind of MB failure on
that bus and switching the SATA channel may fix the problem.

> mean, what is with kscd reading the track info but then telling me that
> it cannot play the disk because there is no disk loaded in the player -
> how does it read track info then?

Well, if the track info is written to the CD-TEXT section of the audio CD,
then it could be that the drive is having trouble getting to the rest of the
CD. If your CD does not have CD-TEXT, then it is probably getting the info
from some cddb server. This only requires the TOC information, which is also
written at the start of the disc. In either case, it could be a problem
reading the rest of the CD. Perhaps you should try transferring a bunch of
data from a CD/DVD and md5summing it to see if there is some kind of
corruption going on.

MM