SATA CD- drive not picked up by system

Although I have tried addressing this previously, no-one has yet ventured to offer any suggested courses for action. Following a weekend of searches, editing config files, etc., I decided a fresh uncomplicated installation of Squeeze would be a good way to start.

Loading the Netinst CD which was correctly booted and installed from, I now sit with a system that (still) does not recognise the sata DVD/CD-RW as the default media player. I really don't know what I am supposed to do to resolve this and I don't want to run the risk of just changing config files in the desperate hope that I can get something to work.

I am sure that as IDE gets phased out in the UK by about next June (I am led to believe) that all PCs will be sold with sata media drives, there must be some way around this.

Any help would be appreciated.

AG