Re: SATA CD- drive not picked up by system

Matthew Moore wrote:
On Monday June 15 2009 2:32:18 pm AG wrote:

Default DVD/CD-drive that plays media.  Sorry - my poor wording. I mean
the device doesn't seem to be automounted when I load an optical disk.

The applications that play DVD (mplayer, kmplayer, totem) and audio CDs
(kscd, goobox) cannot find the media.  In one bizarre twist, kscd can
read track names, but when prompted to press play claims there's no disk.

Does it mount correctly for data-only discs? Are you a member of the cdrom and
plugdev groups (I am not sure if this is still required)? Do you have HAL
installed? Does anything (e.g. usb drives) automount in your DE?

MM

Hi Matthew & Thierry

Yes - it loads data disks just fine and also DVD disks that I have burnt myself.  When testing it using k3b to burn a DVD, k3b locates the disk immediately and burns successfully.  All other USB drives show up fine.  As the sole user, I have permissions to load CD-ROMs and as far as I can tell I am a member of all of the relevant groups.

Gnome has an easier time than Xfce4 in picking up that a disk has been loaded (i.e. an icon pops up on my desktop in Gnome, but nada in Xfce4).

It is because of this inconsistency that I am confused: if it was completely dead - I'd be looking for a damaged drive/ disconnection.  If no audio-CD player found it, I'd be wondering about permissions; if nothing worked (i.e. no data disks, etc.) then it may be related to something else.  But, because it can automount data CDs and home-made DVDs, burn disks fine and that Gnome not Xfce4 picks up the icon, and that only Rhythmbox can play the disk that I am so confused by this.  I mean, what is with kscd reading the track info but then telling me that it cannot play the disk because there is no disk loaded in the player - how does it read track info then?

I am completely at sea with this ... last time I started hacking away at my /etc/fstab, changing symlinks and just generally getting myself into a mess without accomplishing anything.  This time, after a fresh install, I want to leave well enough alone until I can gather some input from this community that may help deal with this in a more systematic manner.

So ... any ideas, because I am clean out of any myself and Google is not throwing back anything of use and there is nothing in the Debian literature nor from user fora that I can see that is helpful.

Thanks in anticipation.

AG