Re: USB problems on fresh install of Lenny

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 10:35:53 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> I installed Lenny on someone's box a couple of days ago, with KDE 3.5.10.  I
> am getting the following error when I try to use the USB card:

What exactly were you trying to do?  From the error message below I
would guess that you connected a memory stick or an external hard disk
to one of the USB ports of the card and then you told KDE to mount and
open the storage volume. Is that correct? Assuming it is, how did you
trigger KDE's attempt to access the card/disk?

> <quote>
> Rejected send message, 3 matched rules; type="method_call",
> sender=":1.6" (uid=1000 pid=2582 comm="kded [kdeinit] --new-startup ")
> interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member="Mount" error
> name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal"
> (uid=0 pid=2381 comm="/usr/sbin/hald "))
> </quote>

That kind of message is often caused by a perceived policy violation or
some other misconfiguration of HAL.

> The processor is a Pentium III Coppermine, speed quoted by KDE Infocenter as
> 697.684 MHz , so probably 700 MHz.  Motherboard is an Intel D815EEA
>
> The USB is a 4 port card, probably PCI.

I am pretty sure that your problem is not caused by the driver of the
card, but just to be on the safe side it would be good to see the
relevant part of the output of "lspci -knn" (assuming that it is in fact
a PCI card).

> Googling has turned up the following bug, which appears to be very much the
> same:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/browse_thread/thread/00e7334029f51b01?fwc=1
>
> Have I indeed hit the same bug?

I believe it is the same type of bug; in that case HAL seems to think
that the user is not allowed to configure the powersave state by means
of kpowersave.

> What do I do about it?

Check your configuration with regard to the policy for mounting
removable devices:

First of all, is your user a member of the plugdev group? (If you find
that you have to add the user to the group then remember that making
this change has no effect on KDE sessions that were started earlier.)

If members of the plugdev group cannot mount removable devices with KDE
then you have to check if /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf has a section
like the following:

  <!-- Allow plugdev members to mount volumes -->
  <policy group="plugdev">
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Crypto"/>
  </policy>

          Florian   |