Re: what user and password for cups

On 14 Jun 2009, whollygoat@letterboxes.org wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 08:26 +0100, "Anthony Campbell"
> <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
> > On 13 Jun 2009, gcrimp@vcn.bc.ca wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've just installed cups to manage an HP Laserjet 6P.  It web
> > > interface finds the printer everything is peachy until I select
> > > a driver and click on "Add Printer".  At that point I am
> > > prompted for a username and a password.
> > >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Not a direct answer to your question, I'm afraid, but I have always
> > found cups to be a nightmare. I much prefer lprng + magicfilter, which
> > is trivially easy to set up and works perfectly for me both for native
> > and remote printing on the network.
> >

> Cups is daunting, I agree, but I didn't find lprng any less so,
> though I haven't used it in probably 10 years or more.  The syntax
> of the configuration files is difficult and the documentation opâque
> and rather sparse.  I'd probably give lprng another try except that
> cups seems to be the de facto standard and better supported in terms
> of documentation.
>
> will

Yes, give it another go. My experience of lprng in the past was similar
to yours and I atayed with old-fashioned lpd/lpr, but a few months ago I
installed lprng more or less by accident and found it to be no problem
to set up at all.

I don't know about cups being the standard, but for me magicfilter has
always worked perfectly so I'm very glad it still exists. I suppose
there may be printers it doesn't support but it's always worked for
mine. I recently bought a Samsung laser printer and the first filter I
tried (ljet4) worked instantly,

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk