Re: Whatever happened to Unicode input (using <ctr> + <shift>)?

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 03:20:30AM EDT, j t wrote:
> Good morning all.
>
> I'm reasonably sure that I used to be able to input unicode characters
> by holding down <shift> and <ctrl> and then tapping out the hex code
> for the character that I wanted, and then releasing <shift> and
> tapping 20AC would give me a euro symbol.

A reasonable assumption:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/volatile/ISO-14755.pdf

> Now (on a fresh clean Lenny) this input method doesn't seem to work
> anymore. Does anyone know why it doesn't work, or what's changed (or
> is it my memory that failing)?

On what system did you see it work - and in what application(s)¹…?

I'm also running lenny, and on an xterm running bash, the "beginning
sequence" - i.e. depressing/holding Control+Shift - is not recognized
since when I hit the final "C" of "20AC" I generate an interrupt that
results in the bash prompt being redisplayed.

> BTW, I'm aware of various other methods for getting the euro symbol,
> but it's this particular input method that I'm interested in...

Which has the merit to confirm that the font you tested with has
something that should look like "€" in slot 8486 - 0x20AC.. ☻

CJ

¹ xterm+shell… linux console… your favorite editor… ?? (looks like this
  is implementation-dependent)