Whatever happened to Unicode input (using <ctr> + <shift>)?

Good morning all.

I'm reasonably sure that I used to be able to input unicode characters
by holding down <shift> and <ctrl> and then tapping out the hex code
for the character that I wanted, and then releasing <shift> and
tapping 20AC would give me a euro symbol.

Now (on a fresh clean Lenny) this input method doesn't seem to work
anymore. Does anyone know why it doesn't work, or what's changed (or
is it my memory that failing)?

BTW, I'm aware of various other methods for getting the euro symbol,
but it's this particular input method that I'm interested in...

Many thanks,

Jaime :-)