Re: can't install etch on new machine

Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

2009/6/9 <shadesofgray@midmaine.com <mailto:shadesofgray@midmaine.com>>

    I have the CD set. It was installed fine on my old machine. I'm
    trying to
    install on a new pc. It is a Dell with a dvd/cd drive (TSST corp).
    On the
    first cd it asks for the cd, but it is already reading the cd! And
    I can't
    get past this, even when it asks for a list of cd's and I select none.

     mean it can read the cd - who cares if its not one on its list?
    How do I
    do the install?

    Thanks,

    Bob

Bob, is your CD/DVD drive cable is SATA? Last year I tried to install Etch, it didn't recognize my SATA DVD drive. Use Lenny installer CD instead like Andrei suggested.
i had the same issue with a "Asus P5K WS" mobo 2 years ago, it should be working with Lenny as i was told, but since lenny was still not stable then i worked around it using a USB stick to do the install

if you insist on installing Etch you could follow the notes below i made at that time but better to try Lenny first anyway i guess

To download the installer we do as follows

$ wget http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz

and we will also need the same iso file as when making an installation cd

$ wget http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r2/amd64/iso-cd/debian-40r2-amd64-netinst.iso

The exact mountpoint of the usb can be found with

$ fdisk -l

Assuming your usb is mounted as /dev/sda we can extract the boot.img.gz to the usb stick.

$ zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sda

Then mount the usb.

# mount /dev/sda /mnt

when this is done simply copy the .iso to the same usb disk

# cp debian-40r2-amd64-netinst.iso /mnt

and then unmount the usb stick

# umount /mnt